Season of the Cookie: Raisin Pecan Oatmeal Cookies

Fall is fast approaching. Those of us here in Hollywood are breaking out the sweaters and leather jackets in anxious preparation for the two weeks of the year it’s actually cool enough to wear them. The scorcher days of August have given way to September cloud cover and occasional showers, which means soon my car will be clean again.

Autumn is definitely my favorite time of the year. I approve of the setting of clocks back and nights getting darker earlier.  It keeps me home more often and gets me into the kitchen more regularly.  The cooler evening weather also ups my cookie-making quotient considerably.  I’ve got a few hundred recipes tucked away thanks to cookbooks, family members, and recipes I’ve been introduced to from my friends from the blogosphere, most especially Smitten Kitchen and Lake Lure Cottage Kitchen.

In fact, it’s from the fantastic Penny at Lake Lure that I discovered these amazing raisin pecan oatmeal cookies.  Sweet and chewy with just the right amount of pecan snap, they’re a can’t-miss receipe, even for new bakers.

So let’s all say goodbye to summer here in the goold old Northern hemisphere.  Toss those drink umbrellas, tiki cups and hurricane glasses into the cellar and break out the electric mixers, ceramic bowls and the extra stash of dental floss.  Cookie season has begun here at Tv Food and Drink.com!

Raisin Pecan Oatmeal Cookies from Lake Lure Cottage Kitchen

• 1 1/2 cups pecans
  • 1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 cup dark brown sugar, lightly packed
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 3 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
  • 1 1/2 cups raisins

Preheat the oven to 350° F

Place the pecans on a sheet pan and bake for 5 minutes, until crisp. Set aside to cool. Chop very coarsely.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachement, beat the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. With the mixer on low, add the eggs, one at a time, and the vanilla.

Sift the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt together into a medium bowl. With the mixer on low, slowly add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture. Add the oats, raisins, and pecans and mix just until combined.

Using a small ice-cream scoop or a tablespoon, drop 2 inch mound of dough onto sheet pans lined with parchment paper. Flatten slightly with a damp hand. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until lightly browned. Transfer the cookies to a baking rack and cool completely.

(Visited 316 times, 1 visits today)

8 thoughts on “Season of the Cookie: Raisin Pecan Oatmeal Cookies

• September 9, 2010 at 5:00 pm

I’m not a big baker at home because it means I would be eating all of whatever I make because I have no willpower.
    But I have to say I’ve printed this recipe to give it a try because I love oatmeal, raisins and a cookie has to have nuts.

• September 9, 2010 at 7:39 pm

Hooray for Cookie Season!!!!!

• September 9, 2010 at 9:02 pm

When I was little, I thought that there were six seasons – spring, summer, winter, fall, tax and swimsuit. How could I have never known about COOKIE SEASON. Am I allowed to wear white?

• September 10, 2010 at 3:59 am

These look just like the raisin cookies my husband’s grandma makes. The ones no one can ever replicate. Maybe this is THE recipe and I will be the family hero!

• September 11, 2010 at 5:09 am

Gary, those cookies are gorgeous. Like you, I really enjoy Penny’s Lake Lure Kitchen Cottage blog too and all of her fabulous recipes. We both live in the mountains of NC and are going to a blogger get-together soon and I’ll finally get to meet her face to face. Can’t wait!

You plate of cookies wouldn’t last long at my house.
    Sam

• September 12, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Gary, I just got home from Michigan. Haven’t looked at my computer in days. Thanks so much for blogging about one of my recipes. It is such an honor when other bloggers like the recipes that I have tried. Your cookies look awesome! I too am looking forward to the Fall weather and the new season on TV. My Best, Penny

• September 13, 2010 at 7:12 pm

@Nancy – you can always share them with friends, neighbors and/or co-workers. That’s what I always do or I wouldn’t be able to get through my front door.

@MG – you have no idea what is coming your way

@DT – you are not the first person I have met who thought tax season was a real season as a kid, but swimsuit is a new one on me.

@Danelle – if you end up the family hero, be sure to take all the credit!

@Sam – Would love to meet up with you and Penny someday – if I ever get to NC, I will let you know.

@Penny – you now your blog is one of my faves.

• November 2, 2010 at 11:48 am

I think Jodi made some of these and brought them to work yesterday. They look the same. I’ll have to grab mine on my lunch break today. They look so scrumptious! 🙂